Aycock, too

After they left Fisher Park yesterday, a large contingent of Greensboro Police crossed the tracks and set up shop across the street from my house in the Aycock Neighborhood.

I walked over to talk with them as a couple of neighbors were driving by on their way home.  The common resolute question from both after seeing so many police cars and personnel on their street was, “what has happened now…?”.  I assured them that the police were just here to hand out fliers door-to-door and let the public know they were as concerned as anyone that the perps who killed Mike Ali were still at large.

I had a short conversation with Lt. Brian James and told him of the neighborhood’s ongoing concern that we had not received any information about the status of the “Castle” murder back in September.  James assured me that investigators had some solid leads but building such a case takes time.

His response was good enough to assuage my concerns, but it might have been a good idea for the police to have included just that tidbit of information in the “Stop the Violence” flyer they were handing out in surrounding neigborhoods, which included descriptions of the Red Mike suspects.

This entry was posted in Life in General. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.


  1. Sam Wharton
    Posted November 13, 2008 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

    This is somewhat distressing. It troubles me greatly to hear of these type of things in the neighborhood I wandered about freely when I was growing up there.

  2. Posted November 13, 2008 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

    Interesting… Lots of people have been killed in my neighborhood but GPD has yet to react in this manner.

  3. bert
    Posted November 13, 2008 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

    I think they do this when they don’t have much info in the case. Many horrible acts can be resolved quickly (like the recent murder off lees chapel)but others require a little more digging. Just a thought, not a defense!

  4. dhoggard
    Posted November 13, 2008 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

    Lt. James made that very point yesterday.

    Many murders have witnesses and other leads that lead to arrests of the perps within a short period of time (hour or days.. such as the Lee’s Chapel case you mention, Bert.)

    Then there are others that have no solid immediate leads, such as this one, the Irving Park case, and the hat shop murder last year for which the police turn to the public to help turn up information.